So here she is, my first garment sewn for my very own self, by my very own self, from a pattern. The pattern is the Belcarra blouse from Sewaholic patterns, and was really easy to follow (even for me.) I was a bit nervous about cutting and sticking accurately, but in the end I steeled myself to buy the pdf pattern, because I’m just too impatient to wait for things to arrive. (I also bought a couple of paper patterns, but I needed something while I waited for them to arrive.)
I made view A, the simplest, and since I am between their sizes, I used a size 8, but went down to size 6 for the hips. I could easily go down a few more sizes for the hips since I’m not as curvy as the patterns are designed for, but I didn’t want to lose the side shaping completely. I also shortened the top by 1 1/2 inches. It’s a lovely loose-fitting-but-not-shapeless top that I made in some lightweight cotton, which was perfect for a week or so away in a hot country ;)
I had a bit of a fiddle handling the bias-cut piece for the neck, my notches just didn’t match up at all, but the piece fitted fine when I decided to just abandon them and pin it on just by matching up one seam and then steaming ahead.
It’s such a simple piece, I’m already starting on another one, with some dark red spotty-ish fabric. I might try a different view for this one, possibly view C. I’d like to try the one with the tucks in the sleeve, but I might leave that for some yellow fabric that I don’t have yet, but I have plans for in my head :)