Well, just to break the Grainline trend for a bit (although only temporarily), here are a couple of blouses from Thread Theory, which brought out the Camas blouse (their first pattern for women) back in the spring. I bought it almost straight away as a PDF (and then sort of wished I’d waited, and got the hard copy) and made one up in this anonymous flowery jersey fabric which I bought online. It’s really pretty, but I have no idea what the fibre content is – it feels like viscose, and is extremely fluid and light. Unfortunately after several washes the colours are beginning to look a bit tired – I’m far too lazy to handwash!
I made the yokes from a woven fabric, I loved the colour of the green, but it’s a bit on the thick side so I used a thinner yellow cotton as this yoke lining (this is the fabric that I found lurking in my stash and made my fifth Tiny Pocket Tank out of).

P1190912 P1190913I like this blouse, although it is just a tad (read: very) gapey when I lean forward. I meant to do something about this on the second blouse, but as I didn’t make this until a good five months later, I completely forgot about it. It’s fine as long as I’m careful, and I’m likely to be wearing it in the scarf season anyway (which is most of the year for me, apart from the very hottest months).

This version, my second, is from the same mustard viscose jersey that my Plantain and a(nother) Tiny Pocket Tank is made from. Or rather, they’re made from the fabric as this, because this was made first. Hence the squeezing and squoozing that had to happen to get the other two out of the remains of the fabric.

P1210259 P1210261

The buttons came from the brocki (as, actually, did the ones for the other version.) In both cases they’re sewn on through both button bands – there isn’t really any need for it to open.


Apart from the gapeyness, there’s also something odd going on at the bottom of the front in the button band region. I suspect it’s something to do with the button band being interfaced, and therefore holding its shape much better than the un-interfaced fabric around it, which is dragging down around it, as you can see in this photo.


I expect that if you were making this in a less floppy fabric then my viscose jerseys, this problem wouldn’t arise. In the meantime,  I expect I could sort it out by re-doing the hem so that it’s not lower than the button band on either side, but somehow when there’s other sewing to be done, fixing things and mending clothes always seems to slide to the bottom of the list of things to do. As the mounting pile of slightly broken clothes by my radiator can testify to.


One thought on “Camas

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s